Sunday, February 8, 2015

Compost Tea update - brewing seem to consume the nitrates!

Last week when I tested the compost tea, There was a quite high reading of nitrite and nitrate. The interesting thing is, Even if I gradually increase how much compost I add for the tea, i didn't see it increasing progressively. One thing was quite different though: we had a guest at home, so i got to brewing the tea only on Sunday late in the evening, and let it brew only for about 2 hours. So it got me thinking: what if, there is some nitrate at detectable level in the compost, but that it is used in some way by the living organisms during the brewing process ?


Yesterday, I set my compost tea to brew, with a timer on the side for 1h, 2h and then the next morning (about 12h from the set up time). I also "sacrificed" a strip to measure the water - molasses mixture before adding the compost to get a baseline. Here are the results: 
TimeGHKHPhNO2-NO3-
03080600
11801207.510200
21801207.510200
121801207.500

So It seems that my tap water was slightly acidic (at that time) and does not contain significant amounts of nitrates. An hour and 2h after adding the compost to the mixture it does not seem to be different, but by 12 hours all nitrite and nitrates are gone. I cant measure how much ammonia there is - as I have only drop type tests for ammonia and the compost tea is pretty dark. Obviously, and as expected, the GH and KH increase a lot by addition of the compost.
So where does this nitrogen go ?
If nitrates are consumed by denitrification, my pH should increase to some extend. Denitrification is the biological process in which bacteria and fungus are transforming N03- into N2. This process consumes H+ ions [http://www.umich.edu/~lehnert/denitrification.html], which should raise the pH. Most hobby website would mention that denitrification is an anaerobic process, but in fact, some organisms can function in both aerobic and anaerobic modes [http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00408378], but is less efficient in aerobic environment. The pH seems stable, so I would want to say that this is not happening, but possibly the amount of change would not be reflected in the strips measurements. I can't test that without an actual lab. Also I have aeration going in the tea, which should slow down the process if occuring.
My hope Is that bacterial activity is fixing nitrogen into their proteins, which would keep the nitrogen in the system. Some bacteria are able to use N03- as a nitrogen source for their protein synthesis [http://www.bashanfoundation.org/cyli/cylisporocarps.pdf].

Conclusions for me at this point : I will brew my compost teat only for an hour or so from now on. Also, I will not add systematically molasses as there will not be a focus on increasing bacterial life.



No comments:

Post a Comment