Thursday, January 22, 2015

The 2 worm challenge

See my little helper checking my work.
Around 3 weeks ago, the redwormcomposting.com guy posted a new experiment. The experiment consists in setting a small container with 2- only 2 - immature worms. The goal is to see how fast can the worm population expand from these 2 founders.
The worms have to be immature, as mature worms can carry fertilized eggs, which may skew the experiment. 


This is how I have set up the experiment:
1 ricotta cheese container - 32 oz 
Brown paper bag and 4 toilet paper roll - 51 g - dry weigh
40 ml of water from the system (the --ponic system)
55 ml of water
2 immature worms
This morning used Cofea grounds - 46 gr


I filled the container with half of the paper (shredded)

added 20 ml of water from the system









As I regularly add compost tea to the system, I am confident that this water contains some microorganism that will help the composting process to jump-start.
I then added the coffee on one side and added the worms on the other side.
  I added more paper to the top
I then added  more paper, added the rest of the system water, and the tap water.
And finally closed the top, and stabbed holes on the lid to allow airflow.


Et Voila!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment