Friday, November 7, 2014

Cycling is almost over !!!!

Left: NO3 1:50 Right NO2 1/10

NO2 1:50 and undiluted
Youhouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

The cycling is over! Today, when I measured the different forms of nitrogen, I happily saw that the nitrites have dived down to 1ppm or less. That is great news!



Once the nitrite is below 0 ppm, I could add fish, but I think i am going to wait a bit more, and add some "vermiwash" to see what it does to the nutrients concentrations and pH.


Also, I have not decided what fish to put in, I have about 3.5 gallons of  water and recommendations from aquarium websites say 1 gallon per inch of fish, but I have found in other forum people putting 7 dozen minnows in a 22 gallon tote, which is 3 fish per gallons... Of course the number of fishes must be considered with the number size that the fish could reach at maturity, and fishes like minnows are quite small. I could buy feeder fish, that are either gold fish or minnows and sold for a 1$ per 5 fish, or a 2$ betta sold in the store around the corner. Bettas have the advantage of not needing as much water as other fishes. The problem is, I am not sure if these fishes would be healthy or not. Online reviews are mixed on these. But buying "safer" fish would increase the budget, and there is always the risk that it won't survive in the system.
Anyway I still have sometimes to figure it out, and i can always keep feeding the system using vermiwash (compost tea - nonbrewed).

6 comments:

  1. I would just toss in a few feeder Goldie's and be done with it. Why agonize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the though! I am trying to reduce the risk of killing the fish given that the system is quite small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed some YouTube videos where some have experimented with putting salt into their dep culture projects with good results.

    If salt water is OK for plants, why not try salt water fish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah everything comes with time and patience:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the most testing times in aquaponics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comments!
    I never thought about salted water. Maybe I should grow silicone. I may look up what other plants are salt loving, or salt tolerant!

    ReplyDelete