Monday, October 13, 2014

My brand new aquaponics vertical farm

A little less than a year ago, I moved to New York to  join my Kochana who took a new job there earlier that summer. We moved from a college town in central Illinois. That meant that we had to say goodbye to sweet and tasty tomatoes, zucchinis and other garden deliciousness. We now leave as many New Yorkers in an apartment, with no balcony, and no access to a small backyard or a rooftop to start a garden...
After starting earlier this year a vermicompost bin - my partner suggested I do so - I though she may not mid if I would start to grow something with this compost that I can now start to harvest.... Since there is neither a backyard or a rooftop, the idea to renew a past experience (from very very long time ago - high school more precisely) of aquapomics ( actually my high school attempt was hydroponics).
So there is my design : a triangular 3 feet tower with a slit on one side made of a thin plywood recovered from an old cabinet that we trashed a few weeks ago,  a small filing store-box find by the neighboring trash for the tank (made of PE), polyester fluffy filling from an old comforter,  food grade PE tube, a small aquarium pump found in the neighborhood, and because that free pump was not strong enought an actual fishpound pumps, found on Craigslist for 20$.
I build the tower itself in slightly over an hour of sawing and nailing it together, and cutting the slit in the "face".

 The joints where waterproofed using silicone caulking, and the exterior was covered with a white water based paint. I then washed the inside of the tower with some soap and a brush and flowed a lot of water. I rinsed the polyester fluffy material , rolled it, folded it and stuffed it in the tower.


Yesterday, I washed the "tank" and cut a triangular section on the top, reinforced the top with a couple of pieces of wood (from a veggie crate) and made a support for the back of the tower with some more wood.


I also made a notch for the power cords, and the irrigation tubing. After another wash, I put the pumps in (the fish tank one to constantly move water and oxygenate it) and the fish pound one to pump the water to the top of the tower. At the tower end of the irrigation tube, I have put a tee wrapped tightly in polyester to help spreading around the water.
It was now time to fill the tank with water, (3.5 gallons of water) close the tank, set the tower on it, and hope for the best. I plugged the pump, and it worked !!! After a few minutes though I noticed that some of the water was running fro the lid. After taking the time to observe it, I noticed how the lid is slightly rounded , witch was leading some of the water " the wrong way". I took my heat gun, heated the PE and bent it so it prevents the water to go "the wrong way". Reassembled everything, and magic happened, no water running off !
After letting it running for a couple of hours, I took some of my newly made "vermicompost" (5 handfull or so) and steeped it in 1/2 gallon of water from the tank for a couple of minutes, filtered it and added it to the top of the tower. I am hoping that this will be able to provide nutrients for the plants and provide the famous "beneficial microorganism". I let it run for another hour and then planted half of my not-so-good-looking parsley and basil growing in a pot by the window, as well as 3 salvaged green onions. I then place my tower by the window.
Later last night, I decided to give the tower some "aesthetic" touch, and named it ch' fermette a New York" (the little farm of New York)....


Now hopping the plants don't die, and then I'll grow some chards or some salad over the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment